Scrapie - Advisory Notes for Farmers (PB9446)

What records do I need to keep?

It is very important that your records are kept up to date. It is particularly important that records of a flock’s breeding and management history are held. Records kept under the rules of the Sheep Annual Premium Scheme, or those required under the Sheep and Goats Identification and Movement (Interim Measures) (England) (No.2) Order 2002 (as amended) – or under the equivalent legislation for Wales and Scotland (see below) – are not likely to be adequate to effectively manage an outbreak of scrapie by selective breeding from unaffected, possibly scrapie resistant, animals. (Equivalent legislation for Wales and Scotland is The Sheep and Goats Identification and Movement (Interim measures) (Wales) (No.2) Order 2002 (as amended) and The Sheep and Goats Identification (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2002.) All movements on and off the farm require recording in the on-farm record book. This includes movements to tack, common grazing and within Sole Occupancy Authorities (SOAs).

The combination of movement records and the use of earmarks in breeding records does help to tackle the problem when disease is found. All lambs and kids must be individually identified; there is, however, no corresponding requirement to record individual identification numbers.

ADLib logo Content provided by the Agricultural Document Library
© University of Hertfordshire, 2011