ARCHIVE: Entry Level Stewardship Handbook 2005 (PB10355)

ARCHIVE: Entry Level Stewardship Handbook 2005. Terms and conditions and how to apply



Crown Copyright - This document is subject to Crown copyright protection & has been reproduced under licence from the controller of HMSO. The user may not supply copies to third parties nor publish / sell this material to others with out written consent of the Controller.

The ADLib Version - This document has been reproduced in full & the technical content is the same as the original. Presentation may vary from the original. Links in this document may take the user to publications other than those produced by government departments & agencies. Where this is the case the background colour of the document will change to white.


Note: This is the 2005 version of the handbook.
Click here for the 2013 version of the handbook
Click here for the 2010 version of the handbook
Click here for the 2008 version of the handbook


Summary diagram

Section 1: Introduction and general information


Section 2: How to complete your postal application



Section 3: List of options, management requirements and points allocations



Section 4: What should I do if I have another scheme or obligation on my land?



Section 5: Additional requirements that you must agree to



Section 6: Changes to your agreement



Section 7: Breaches and appeals




1:    Guidance publications for management plans
2:    Guidance for calculating nitrogen content of manures
3:    Worksheet to calculate area of buffer strip options
4:    Standards of Good Farming Practice
5:    Penalties which can apply to breaches of your agreement
6:    Rural Development Service (RDS) contact details and list of ERDP schemes

Defra PB10355, 2005
© Crown Copyright. Reproduced for ADLib under Licence.


7.1    Breaches of agreement
7.2    Penalties for breaches of agreements
7.3    Overpayment
7.4    'Force majeure' (exceptional circumstances)
7.5    Variation of your agreement by the Secretary of State (acting through Defra)
7.6    What if I disagree with any Defra decision or proposed action regarding my application or subsequent agreement?


6.1    Can I make changes to my agreement?
6.2    What if I let, sell or transfer my land?
6.3    Can I add land to my agreement?
6.4    Derogations

6.4.1    Countersigning derogation notice forms


5.1    Good Farming Practice (GFP)
5.2    Changes to your agreement as a result of European Community (EC) legislation
5.3    Public rights of way

5.3.1    Keeping rights of way clear of obstruction
5.3.2    Rights of way on cultivated land
5.3.3    Stiles, gates, bridges and signs
5.3.4    Dangerous animals

5.4    Other activities on your land
5.5    Metal detecting on your land
5.6    Protection of historic features
5.7    Allow inspection
5.8    Keep necessary records


4.1    Single Payment Scheme (SPS)

4.1.1    Cross compliance management and ELS options
4.1.2    ELS options and set-aside land
4.1.3    Providing information on your SPS annual return

4.2    Countryside Stewardship Scheme (CSS)
4.3    Environmentally Sensitive Areas (ESAs)
4.4    Organic Aid/Organic Farming Scheme (OAS/OFS)
4.5    Energy Crops Scheme (ECS)
4.6    Farm Woodland Premium Scheme (FWPS), Farm Woodland Scheme (FWS), Woodland Grant Scheme (WGS) and the English Woodland Grant Scheme (EWGS)
4.7    Hill Farm Allowance (HFA)
4.8    Other land management schemes on my land
4.9    Inheritance/Capital Gains Tax exemption
4.10  Farm assurance schemes and the Pesticide Industry Voluntary Initiative
4.11  Nitrate Vulnerable Zones (NVZs)
4.12  Other obligations


3.1    Summary table: options and points available
3.2    Detailed management requirements for ELS options
3.3    Combinations of options that can occupy the same land


2.1    To apply by post
2.2    Step by step summary of how to apply by post
2.3    How to fill in your application form and mark your maps

2.3.1    Step 1: Check your pre-filled details and maps
2.3.2    Step 2: Complete your Farm Environment Record
2.3.3    Step 3: Identify fields where soil erosion and run-off occur, or may do so in the future
2.3.4    Step 4: Choose which options to include in your application
2.3.5    Step 5: Check that you have met your points target
2.3.6    Step 6: Choose your agreement start date
2.3.7    Step 7: Declarations and undertakings

2.4    What will I receive if my application has been successful?


1.1    Background

1.1.1    What is Environmental Stewardship?
1.1.2    What are the aims of Entry Level Stewardship?
1.1.3    How does the scheme work?
1.1.4    What payments will I receive?
1.1.5    What will I be required to do?
1.1.6    How long will my agreement last?
1.1.7    Will my details be made public?


1.2    Who can apply?

1.2.1    Is my land on the Rural Land Register?
1.2.2    What is an RPA ‘vendor number’?
1.2.3    What if I do not own some or all of the land?
1.2.4    Partnerships and trusts
1.2.5    Is common land eligible?
1.2.6    What if others hold rights over my land?
1.2.7    What if the land I farm is owned by the Crown, a local authority or another Exchequer funded body?
1.2.8    Do I have another scheme or obligation on my land?

1.3    How do I apply?

1.3.1    How do I submit my application?
1.3.2    How do I apply via the internet?
1.3.3    When should I send in my application and when will my agreement start?
1.3.4    How is my points target calculated?
1.3.5    How should I choose which options to put in my application?
1.3.6    Can I have more than one option on the same area of land?
1.3.7    Should I exceed my points target?
1.3.8    Will help be provided to understand the scheme and complete my application?
1.3.9    Can an agent act on my behalf?
1.3.10  What should I do if I have already sown my crops?
1.3.11  What happens next?
1.3.12  When and how will I be paid?
1.3.13  The Environmental Impact Assessment (Uncultivated Land and Semi-natural Areas) (England) Regulations

ADLib logo Content provided by the Agricultural Document Library
© University of Hertfordshire, 2011