Entry Level Stewardship (ELS) Handbook 2013 (NE349)
EL6 Unenclosed moorland rough grazing 5 points per ha

This option is only available inside the SDAs on land parcels of 15 ha or more above the Moorland Line.

For this option, you must comply with the following:

  • Do not plough, cultivate or reseed.
  • Protect permanently waterlogged wetlands, including peat bogs and other mires, and hillside flushes. Do not install any new land drainage or modify any existing land drainage, or remove any peat or sediment from drainage channels.
  • Leave rocks, scree and mineral spoil in place.
  • Where you have the legal right to carry out burning, and intend to do so, you must follow the Heather and Grass Burning Code. You may obtain a copy of The Heather and Grass Burning Code (Defra, 2007) from your Natural England regional office or download it at www.naturalengland.org.uk.
  • Do not supplementary feed using silage or other forage wrapped in plastic. Do not use ring feeders or troughs. Move feeding areas as often as required to avoid poaching. Do not feed on or next to archaeological features, steep slopes, footpaths or watercourses.
  • Do not apply any fertilisers, manures, lime or slag.
  • Take action to contain bracken and common gorse so that they do not spread to new areas of land, where this is within your control. Wherever possible, control of bracken should be by mechanical means. Otherwise, to chemically control bracken only an approved herbicide may be used and care must be taken not to apply it to other ferns. For common gorse, control should be by cutting or burning in manageable blocks. If the land is in a water catchment area or on a Scheduled Monument, you must seek consent from the appropriate authority.
  • Rhododendron and other invasive non-native species must be cut and the stumps treated immediately with herbicide to prevent spread to new areas of land, where this is within your control. At least one follow-up treatment will be required in subsequent years to control re-growth.
  • Only apply herbicides to spot-treat or weed-wipe for the control of injurious weeds (ie creeping and spear thistles, curled and broad-leaved docks or common ragwort) .

Moorland rough grazing

ADLib logo Content provided by the Agricultural Document Library
© University of Hertfordshire, 2011