Entry Level Stewardship (ELS) Handbook 2013 (NE349)
EL5 Enclosed rough grazing 35 points per ha

This option is only available inside the SDAs on parcels of less than 15 ha above the Moorland Line.

Commonly known as ‘allotments’, ‘intakes’ or ‘newtakes’, these are areas of enclosed rough land of less than 15 ha used exclusively for grazing, of which the majority has not been drained, re-seeded or regularly cultivated. They have received only minimal applications of fertilisers, lime, slag or pesticides. They will contain predominantly semi-natural vegetation, usually moorland grasses and rushes, and sometimes rocky and very wet areas. They may also contain small areas of agriculturally improved land.

For this option you must comply with the following:

  • Do not plough, cultivate or reseed.
  • Protect permanently waterlogged wetlands, including peat bogs and other mires, and hillside flushes. Do not install any new land drainage or modify any existing land drainage, or remove any peat or sediment.
  • Leave rocks, scree and mineral spoil in place.
  • Do not increase your existing stocking level.
  • Do not supplementary feed.
  • Do not apply any fertilisers, manures, lime or slag.
  • Take action to contain bracken and common gorse so that they do not spread to new areas of land, where this is within your control. Wherever possible, control of bracken should be by mechanical means. Otherwise, to chemically control bracken, only an approved herbicide may be used and care must be taken not to apply it to other ferns. For common gorse, control should be by cutting or burning in manageable blocks. If the land is in a water catchment area or on a Scheduled Monument, you must seek consent from the appropriate authority.
  • Rhododendron and other invasive non-native species must be cut and the stumps treated immediately with herbicide to prevent spread to new areas of land, where this is within your control. At least one follow-up treatment will be required in subsequent years to control re-growth.
  • Only apply herbicides to spot-treat or weed-wipe for the control of injurious weeds (ie creeping and spear thistles, curled and broad-leaved docks or common ragwort).

Enclosed rough grazing

ADLib logo Content provided by the Agricultural Document Library
© University of Hertfordshire, 2011